Sunday 10 October 2010

Crucifying a guy outside Forbidden Planet

Back when I started collecting tracts, this was one I would find quite often. It's a plug for what I guess is a relatively new-ish church. Its members pop up every so often in the city centre to preach to folks, always handing out the same one or two tracts each time. On one occasion, they even staged a crucifixion re-enactment in the middle of Buchanan Street. I found the video and it's just past the jump.

also lol papyrus font.




Most of this tract is either paraphrasing or copypasting The Good Test, a ploy famously used by Ray Comfort and the like in an attempt at a guilt-based conversion. It's a fairly common technique which I've seen fairly often, and which people have tried to actually use on me a couple times. I'm going to cover it more thoroughly in a later post, but for now I'm just going to say that it's an incredibly shallow ploy to get people to feel bad about themselves, and hit them while they're emotionally vulnerable.


As I said earlier, I once saw these guys re-enacting Jesus' crucifixion in the middle of Buchanan Street (made even more surreal by the fact that a DIFFERENT group was ALSO carrying a cross up the same street). Basically what happened was they dressed a guy up like Jesus, stuck him up on a cross with "YOUR SINS" written on it, and had a guy preach in front of that. I know it was the same guys because they gave me this very tract.
I actually managed to find a video of the proceedings. Don't say I'm not good to you.





No comments:

Post a Comment